OMG Food!

Soup's on, folks! I'm Tina M. Courtney, aka PoetKitty -- a Los Angeles based food writer audacious enough to think I can critique all manner of eateries. It's a labor of love, and I'm honored to welcome you. Grab a fork and let's get this party started.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Dare to Be Square




SQUARE ONE DINING - PoetKitty's Review

4854 Fountain Ave.
Cross street - Catalina
Los Feliz, CA
7.6.06 - Thursday, 10:45 A.M.
Myself + 1 guest (the uber-lovely and marvelous Miss Patricia)


RESTAURANT REPORT CARD

Ambiance - B+
Service - B
Food (Taste) - C+
Food (Presentation) - C+
Wine/Drinks - N/A
Value - B-
Overall Experience - B-

My oldest brother calls me Squarehead. One of those "affectionate" nicknames. So when the beloved Chowpatty declared it's Hip to Be Square at this wee Los Feliz hang-spot, I had to sniff it out.

One of the greatest events in one's life is brunch on a weekday. There's something about the forbidden relaxation during structured work hours that intoxicates me. Now that I am currently living the Freelance Dream, I indulge as much as the pocketbook will allow. Square is the perfect writer's hideaway. My first fully formed thought as I waited for my sweet companion - this doesn't feel like LA. So lacking in pretentious snobbery, so simple in decor and motto, and tucked into a perfectly rundown and almost forgotten Los Feliz corner. Yet as I poured through the breakfast menu and pondered the anti-LA vibe, I decided this was MY version of the city. Authentic, and neatly tucked underneath the surface.

There's only a handful of tables and very little ambiance - but that is an attraction. I felt at home. Real. No one assessed whether the sunglasses were real of knock-offs. There was a handsome fellow tucked in the corner *gasp* by himself *gasp* reading a book *gasp*. Good start.

My dear friend Patricia arrived late and rushed, but the calmness of the insides soothed her in no time. We sipped our diet cokes and started our brunch-y journey.

Service here matches the casual vibe, but with true attentiveness and care. Square One wants you to be happy. They really, really do. Water appeared immediately, drink orders dropped in a snap, and we were well attended to the whole way. They weren't feverishly busy, but in this city, that doesn't always equate to good service. On the contrary. But Square's got it going on.

The menu isn't gargantuan, but you can taste the fresh organic goodness just running down the options. Any place that serves a multitude of pancake choices has my heart. Forever. Yet I steered clear of Carb Heaven and went with a smidge o' protein.

THE GOODS

Drinks:

No drink list - just sodas and coffee/teas.


My Entree:

Pressed Egg Sandwich with Arugula, Tomato, and Aioli on Brioche
** This little honey is served with either a small salad, grits, or potatoes. I chose the greens. The sannie was glowing all lusciously yellow when she arrived - the eggs were illegally fluffy and nice, but there was just too much aioli on her to really make me feel at ease. Good, balanced, if not a bit too-subtle flavor-wise, but very satisfying all the same. The salad was definitely on the small side, and had waaaayyyy too much black pepper. I'm not a black pepper fan, so consider that biased feedback.


P's Entree:

Eggs Benedict
** This was also not a large portion, but super good. The muffin texture the eggs were nestled on rocked, and they nailed the hollandaise for sure. She got the same teeny salad. Her plate was spotless in the end, so I believe we had a winner.


That was all she wrote for our first Square adventure, but the menu is intriguing enough that I'd definitely return for a second helping.

I had the honor of being treated to my meal, but the damaged for 2 sodas and 2 meals was about $20, before tip.

Final word - I really can't say enough about the warmth of the place - if I lived in the 'hood, this would be Home.

3 Comments:

  • At Tue Jul 11, 03:27:00 AM, Blogger Russkar said…

    Nice Review.
    You should try the Home Cured Salmon Benedict next, best item on the menu.

     
  • At Tue Jul 18, 05:47:00 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    when i stray from the breakfast items i REALLY dig on the tuna sandwich...it's definitely worth a shot. and i was the very first customer!!!

     
  • At Tue Jul 18, 05:55:00 PM, Blogger PoetKitty said…

    I love me a mean tuna sandwich, and if the first-time-customer says it rocks, then I gots to have it! Thank you for the rec!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home