OMG Food!

Soup's on, folks! I'm Tina M. Courtney, aka PoetKitty -- a Los Angeles based food writer audacious enough to think I can critique all manner of eateries. It's a labor of love, and I'm honored to welcome you. Grab a fork and let's get this party started.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Just Like Mom Used to Make - Peanut Butter Bacon Sandwiches



Sometimes, I am just *so* lucky.
I recently swooped into a Very Favorite Restaurant for an incredible treat - to taste a new dessert creation by the local master, not yet on the menu. Should he put this a-maz-ing dish up for public consumption, I'll reveal the local, but for now, hush hush. This was a daring, fantastic delight - again, I won't divulge the entire lowdown, but bacon was involved. And peanut butter powder. And maple syrup, brown sugar, and bananas. Yes, this is a dessert, not a breakfast plate. Special doesn't even begin to describe this. And while I was crazy about the banana's texture, I was apeshit about the flavors.

That night, as I was drifting off to sleep thinking "peanut butter and bacon - who knew?" a voice answered back "your MOTHER, that's who." And then I remember. When I was a wee one, Mom used to toast a couple of slices of white bread, slather them up with creamy peanut butter, and generously topped on several slices of crispy, hot bacon. I LOVED these creations. But it's been eons since I thought of them, and who would have thought a dessert would jog my memory?

I just love it when a dish takes you back in time to a spot in your life long since covered in cobwebs. Scents and tastes have a magical transportation power. I called Mom the next day to share this revelation. She wants to fly out just to try this dessert. We had a bonding moment. Life is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home