OMG Food!

Soup's on, folks! I'm Tina M. Courtney, aka PoetKitty -- a Los Angeles based food writer audacious enough to think I can critique all manner of eateries. It's a labor of love, and I'm honored to welcome you. Grab a fork and let's get this party started.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

National Ice Cream Day - Scream For It!




Oh heck YES - here's a holiday I can get all fired-up over. Today, July 16th, 2006, is National Ice Cream day. How will you celebrate?

President Reagan blessed our darling month o' July back in 1984, naming all 31 days (one for each flavor, nifty!) Ice Cream Month, but he gave a special honor to the third Sunday of July, and here we are again. I'll admit, I'm one of those annoying waist-watchers that gets a little gun-shy around the frozen creamy goods, but I'm throwing caution to the wind in celebration. I hope I can inspire a little of the same in you.

To incite salivation, I'm listing some of the new/exciting flavors I've spied across the dairy land lately - see if any of these whet your whistle:


First up, Ben and Jerry's American Pie ice cream - a brand new flavor from our trusted Vermont hipsters. This one packs apple and pie crust punch into - you guessed it - an appie pie cream base. I'd add some caramel into the mix, but that's just me. Sounds like this should be THE flavor of the whole month, what with our independence celebrations and all. Yum squared.





Speaking of caramel, the folks at Baskin Robbins have a newbie they're quite proud of too - it's called Triple Play, and it's loaded with popcorn, pretzels, and peanuts, all woven into a caramel ice cream base. Probably more appropriate for the youngsters amongst us - and those who like their ice cream to crunch.

And for us choco-holics, fear not Haagan Dazs to the rescue (yet again). They've got a sassy new flavor called Mayan Chocolate. It's' an uber-rich chocolate base with a cinnamon kick. Sounds interesting, and apparently is based on a Mayan recipe from waaayyyy back when - before National Ice Cream Day was but a twinkle in some wise-one's eye.

If none of these float your boat, hit up the e-quiz below and get inspired by the ice cream flavor that most represents you. Great ice-breaker, don't you think? Exciting, because my flavor is, actually, one of zee bestest.




You Are Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream



Creative. Expressive. Unique.



All right, that does it - breakfast time or no, I'm in search of frozen cream.
ColdStone, anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home