OMG Food!

Soup's on, folks! I'm Tina M. Courtney, aka PoetKitty -- a Los Angeles based food writer audacious enough to think I can critique all manner of eateries. It's a labor of love, and I'm honored to welcome you. Grab a fork and let's get this party started.

Monday, August 07, 2006

You Should Make This - Poached Eggs With Cilantro Sauce



I've done a lot of cooking in my day, but I have never ever poached an egg. Haven't even thought to try, because until last night, I was still clinging to the childhood memory that I hated egg yolks. Deeee-spised. Yucky, runny, chalky, nasty yellow goo. I eat 'em scrambled and in omelets, but that's different, yo. Every now and again, however, I get ca-ray-zee, and last night was one example. I was all "I'm gonna poach an egg. No, wait, I'll poach TWO of 'em." But I needed a recipe or else I'd lose my cool.

Cue the beloved Gourmet Magazine. I dug out an old issue and found just what I was looking for - Poached Eggs With Cilantro Sauce. Below is the recipe, with my step by step details - I have to mix it up. You should know that by now.

1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar

You're dropping this into a 12 inch skillet with about 1 1/2 inches of water. Get that a-simmerin'.

2 lb tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 small fresh green serrano chile, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
1 cup water

Mmm k now, get all this tossed together, then blend it together and make a puree. Now, Gourmet will have you push this through a sieve and discard the solids. Poppycock! If you like a salsa-consistency, keep those solids - I wish I had. And at the very least, use it on another dish - this is good stuff.

1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil

Use the 1/4 cup in a skillet, and get it nice and hot (but no smokies). Now, add the puree - careful, it will splatter and fizz.

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro plus additional for sprinkling

Throw in the cilantro and mix with your 'mater sauce.

8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices of baguette

Brush these puppies with olive oil, season, and place them in the center of your over. Give them about 10 mins to brown, but watch that they don't burn.
By the way, I grabbed a seeded sourdough baguette to give it more punch. Good call, go me.

8 large eggs

Gently place the eggs in a cup, then transfer them to your simmering water/vinegar combo. They will take about 4-5 minutes to cook up - yolks will be runny, but the whites should be pretty solid. Transfer them, two at a time, to a soup bowl when ready.

Your tomato goodness will need about 10 minutes to thicken up (but remember, it IS soup, so it won't be very thick). Pour a nice dose over your eggs, and garnish with the toasted baguette slices. Quite yummy. Yes, even the yolks :)

1 Comments:

  • At Fri Aug 11, 09:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm a poached egg fanatic. I think that the 4-5 minutes is a bit too long, 5 minutes and you're not going to have a nice runny middle, it will probably be on the hard side. I like to cook them just at 3 minutes, then turn the heat off and let them sit for about 30 seconds. I'm going to have to try this sauce, our tomato plants are in full harvest.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home