OMG Food!

Soup's on, folks! I'm Tina M. Courtney, aka PoetKitty -- a Los Angeles based food writer audacious enough to think I can critique all manner of eateries. It's a labor of love, and I'm honored to welcome you. Grab a fork and let's get this party started.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Vermont - Please Don't Serve Abnormal Salads















Vermont Restaurant and Bar
1714 N. Vermont Ave.
Los Angeles, CA
11/21/06 - 12:30 PM

The Event: Favorite Lunch Friend and I needed a nosh spot. Something Los Feliz-y. Something chic yet tasty.

RESTAURANT REPORT CARD - Visit 2

Ambiance - C+
Service - C+
Food (Taste) - C
Food (Presentation) - C-
Wine/Drinks - C+
Value - C+
Vibe/Energy/Scene - C+

Overall Experience - C+

Vermont has been lingering on a nondescript corner of Vermont Ave. for years now, a popular French-y spot for business lunches, cocktails, and slightly upscale eats. I first took a turn here some five years ago, and from what I recall, I enjoyed the dinner. This was before I proudly wore the Foodie hat, however, so judge accordingly.

I like the minimalist, white-washed decor. I don't love the gargantuan plant that quite literally knocked me in the noggin as I walked through the front door. The hostess station is located to your immediate right as you walk in, and there's zero room for guests to linger. Since I was in a long-ish line, I had to stand outside, lest I continue to be assualted by the angry plant.

We were seated quickly, and the place was already jumping. Our server was a nice woman, but clearly and utterly frazzled. She took good care, considering, but this provided a rushed and unsettling energy. No big deal. We ordered super fast and awaited the dishes, which arrived in a similar turbo speed.

Drinks:

Sodas. Didn't spy the wine list.

Entrees:

Mine
(Photo above)
Calamari Salad
With greens, fried calamari, tangy dressing, tomatoes, and lemon wedges
- Truly one of the strangest and unappealing salads I've ever laid eyes on. The frisee/greens had a weed-like consistency, and similar flavor. There was a lot of tender calamari, but the little squid bites were way too greasy. Couple that with a tangy cocktail sauce dressing, and you have a world of ewwww. I wouldn't just avoid ordering this again, I would run like the dickens if it even came near me.



Companion
Linguini with Clams
- Linguini with a butter and herb sauce, served with a mound of clams
A very standard dish, and not overly fresh. The sauce had little flavor, but the clams were pretty tasty. Better than my evil salad, but nothing to brag about.

Damage for 2 sodas and 2 entrees: about $31 before tip.

Parking: Valet in back, but street slots available
Attire: Business casual
Pros: Nice decor, friendly
Cons: Not worth the price, rushed service, out-for-blood plant

Final word - you can do better in the area by a landslide.

My Other Home.
With a Side of Poetry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home