OMG Food!

Soup's on, folks! I'm Tina M. Courtney, aka PoetKitty -- a Los Angeles based food writer audacious enough to think I can critique all manner of eateries. It's a labor of love, and I'm honored to welcome you. Grab a fork and let's get this party started.

Saturday, March 03, 2007

En Sushi - Raw Lunch, Anyone?

En Sushi
1972 N. Hillhurst Ave.
Los Feliz, CA 90027



The Event: Just another lunch-fest

It's day time, I'm craving sushi and Los Feliz bound, and my pal N and I land in En Sushi.
Are we lucky duckies, or just plane lame?

I'm aware of another En Sushi but really hadn't heard peeps about either. This is a pretty new space in the restaurant row area of Los Feliz, and it has that clean, sterile glow one likes to see from one's raw food havens, so what the hay. First observation - eeep, it's warm in here. But no scary fishy smell, so I'll take it.

En has a standard sushi menu with a few interesting specials, but N and I both b-line for a lunch set. He opts for cooked delicacies, I go for a mixture.

Service is shoulder-shrugging; OK. Again, I'll take it.


Drinks:

Soju-based martinis that kind of blow, but some good sake selections. Of course, it's not noon yet, so I'm having tea.


Entrees:
Me -- MIXED SUSHI AND UDON NOODLE SOUP

(See photo above)

Five pieces of mixed sushi with 2 pieces of california roll, along with vegetable udon soup and a few trimmings
- Mmmm k, so the sushi is fresh-ish and more than decent, but the soup was pretty darn bland. No kick whatsoever, with a thin, tasteless broth. And the side of tempura flake? Weird and oily.

N's: UDON NOODLE SOUP WITH TEMPURA



Udon noodle soup with vegetable and shrimp tempura
- His soup was the same heaping bowl of nothing that mine was, but he adored it. His tempura was the same old tempura you get anywhere and everywhere, but that's not a complaint. Fried stuff with batter is good. Period.

My tip to you - Expect fast and average fare that doesn't offend but doesn't wow either.

Damage for 2 lunch sets, 1 tea and 1 soda: just under about $28 before tip.

Worth it? Sure. Why not.

RESTAURANT REPORT CARD - En Sushi Visit 1

Ambiance - C+
Service - C
Food (Taste) - C
Food (Presentation) - C
Wine/Drinks - C+
Value - C
Vibe/Energy/Scene - C-

Overall Experience - C

Parking: Street during the day, valet at night
Attire: Casual
Pros: Decently fresh, decently priced
Cons: Nothin' you can't get a million places elsewhere

Final word - If I'm in a rush and wantin' some fishies, I might just be back.

13 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home