OMG Food!

Soup's on, folks! I'm Tina M. Courtney, aka PoetKitty -- a Los Angeles based food writer audacious enough to think I can critique all manner of eateries. It's a labor of love, and I'm honored to welcome you. Grab a fork and let's get this party started.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I'll Drink to That - Top Five Date Bars



I am dangerously close to rejoining the world of socialdom and perhaps *gasp* dating again. It's happened in sporadic bursts in the last few months, and I can't help but miss the bliss of getting-to-know-yous, goodnight kisses, and cocktail hours. Is it so wrong that the latter is the one I miss the most?

With that in mind, I felt it appropriate to list my current Top Five Date Bars in Los Angeles. Places to suck down a martini, make eyes at your hot internet score, and ponder what debauchery the night will bring. It's a combination of fabulous drink offerings, kickass bartenders, and ambiance galore that lands a spot in my little alcoholic heart, and while I can be a fickle bar-hopper, these gems keep me coming back. So, go forth, date, and drink. And send me some juicy stories. Yum.

1) El Carmen
This is a bit of a mystery to me, as I don't even love tequila, but El Carmen was a stone's throw from my old apartment, and as such, she won my heart. I had many-a-first internet date on those luscious red stools, sucking down fruity tequilas and the best margaritas in town. Hands down. The bartenders are spot-on fabulous too. Oh, the memories.

2) The Bowery
I have so much love to give for my little neighborhood hideaway. Some love the New York vibe, some hate it, some say it's not authentic, I don't give a rat's ass. I adore the staff, the magnifique drinks, and oh my, they make some MEAN sweet potato fries. That's gold in my book.

3) lounge. on Sunset.
The name sucks, the restaurant is so-so (good food, but there's something about it that smacks of ordinary), but Lounge, the not-so-little bar tucked behind Eat, lands a spot in my current top-five for one reason alone: a special listing of drinks containing Red Bull. They have a FULL SECTION for this most momentous drink, called The Bull Ring. I am humbled.

4) L'Scorpion
How can it be that I'm not even that much of a margarita head, and yet two tequila bars land in my top five? Ambiance, people - I love the darkside, and L'Scorpion especially delivers the absolute best. Lush reds and blacks in lighting so dark you might convince yourself that's Mark Ruffalo staring back at you. How is this ever a bad thing?

5) Cat and Fiddle
Like El Carmen, I've just had too many good times here to not give it props. Cat's got THE best outdoor area for drinkin' in the city, and a nice selection of brewskis and liquors as well. Food? No. No no no. Don't go hungry. But do go to feast your eyes on a gorgeous scene.


See, now I'm ready to hit the big time and develop a new top 5 list. Now accepting applications :)

5 Comments:

  • At Wed Sep 20, 04:17:00 PM, Blogger Erin S. said…

    Yay for the bowery! I think it's way better than the more-hyped Magnolia down the street.

    I also like the Mixville Bar at the Edendale Grill in Silverlake for dates (well, dates with my husband). Gorgeous space, great front and back patio, solid drinks and a photo booth...

     
  • At Sun Sep 24, 09:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    these are the worst bars ever

    el carmen ok for a tequilla fix but seriously on the others?

    cat and fiddle -- lame, impossible to get table/service

    lounge/bowrey for superficial lame as la ladies

    try barneys beanery or third stop or st nicks bar...

    ...this is why you are serial dating: lame bars!

     
  • At Wed Sep 27, 06:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I went to L'Scorpion one night for a function and loved the vibe. The snacks were really super greasy, though, but I think the drinks were strong. Must get back there.

    I gotta try the Bowery -- sweet potato fries? I'm so there!

     
  • At Tue Oct 24, 10:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do us all a favor "Kitty," stay in the Kat House so we can get what we pay for and leave the self absorbed narsissistic bits for the dogs.

     
  • At Thu Nov 02, 01:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I too have had many a great first internet date at El Carmen. Keep writing fun reviews!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home